Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tuesday

A funny thing happens on Tuesdays at our house. Michael has church stuff to do most Tuesdays and so I sort of fudge on dinner. Most of the time we have homemade pizza or spaghetti because it's the only time we can - the sauce bugs Michaels sensitive tummy.

Lately it's become a night of experimentation and tonight I totally thought it was gonna be a bust. Michael walked in to pick up some stuff before heading out and commented that it smelled like something was burning.... hmm not a good sign.

I decided to make half-person quiche. I just came up with that. Don't really know what else to call them. It's not baby quiche and it's not a whole quiche pie. Here's the recipe as I made it with some hindsight ideas of making it better or less messy.

Pillsbury Grands Biscuits
Mozzerella cheese - maybe a cup or less?
Canadian Bacon - 2 circles cut up small
Egg Beater Whites
One whole egg
Milk - just a splash

So this is basically what I did:

Take the individual biscuits and spread or flatten them out a bit and place them into cupcake pan. (hindsight - spray some Pam into pan first)

put a scant amount of cheese in each biscuit and a few pieces of Canadian Bacon (or ham)

beat about a quarter of cup of egg whites with a whole egg and a splash of milk and put about 2-3 spoonfuls into each biscuit. add more cheese to the tops of each and then bake for about 15-20 minutes. (hindsight - make sure you put the cupcake pan into a deeper pan in the oven. Otherwise the egg mixture may drip all over the bottom of your oven. Trust me. I know. That's where the burning smell came from...)

You need to let them rest for about 5 minutes before digging them out with a spoon and serving. They aren't pretty... but my kids devoured them. I was quite surprised. And I love them even more for it!

No comments:


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...