Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My six year old has been spouting off language that I just don't know about. I mean, I know she's growing up and all, but it's just weird.

Last night it was "Oh - My Bad," in response to having spelled a word wrong. Nothing horrible. Just weird to hear coming out of my daughters mouth.

This morning it was a very loud, "OH, MY, G*D - that is soooo weird!" I can only assume she got this from (A.) school, (B.) Disney Channel, or (C.) someone on the bus.

There's a family in our ward here in Florida that has started up a Cottage Style School called The
Wilford Woodruff School. Tuition is high, but is waived for your kids if you teach there. It's somewhat similar to a Montessori style of learning but more akin to Homeschooling in a small group charter school, if that makes any sense. At least that is how I have perceived it from those I've talked to about it. It's tempting in some ways, but it also feels a bit isolating.

I guess what it comes down to , what it has always come down to , is that I really need to be reinforcing at home the stuff I find important for her to know. I just find it incredibly hard to compete with the 8 hours a day influence she gets at school.

Perhaps today I will make up some gospel-focused spelling words for her to learn!
Atonement would be a great one - I don't think I really understood the meaning of this word until I was like, 16.
Reverence is another good one - she really used to struggle with this, but lately she has become quite the little example for reverence - at least in sacrament meeting.
Faith would be a great sight word, as would Heaven, Baptism and Hope.
Integrity will probably be the first word we work on. It will also be the easiest to explain and for her to relate to.

So that's the plan for now.

On a lighter note, check this out - it totally cracks me up every time I watch it!

No comments:


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...