Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Something quite revealing

So Amanda informed me this week that she just wants to use the same valentine idea as last year... I said "GREAT! -- what do you want to wear this year? How should we do your hair?" She tells me that she just wants to use the same picture as last year. Weird.

I did some more digging and with all the forthrightness of a 9 year old girl she told me that she *hates* doing photo shoots with me because I am picky and mean and I stress her out. Say wha?? At this point I should have taken a gulp and nodded my head and retreated. But no, I dug deeper... cause I like the punishment. Apparently I am a perfectionist with no patience... and I suck all the fun out it. Nice.

So I am flashing back to all the times I've tried to arrange the kids for photos and remember how much of a fight it has always seemed. I've always figured Amanda was just being difficult because she was hungry or tired or just didn't take direction well. Has it always been me all along? Am I just a bad director of photography? I feel like such a tyrant now.

So the question is: Do I attempt to convince Amanda to take a new picture and do everything I can to treat her like one of my paying clients and have all the patience in the world for her? Or do I just let it go - and reprint last years photo... or (GASP!) do I buy those cheapo grocery store valentines?

5 comments:

Sweating in the endless heat said...

Kids....I say reprint and don't think about it again:-)

Anonymous said...

Reprint the one from last year, it was perfect! Sorry she wasn't very nice to you. Kids always give their parents a harder time, then they would someone else. Maybe you could take you kids outdoors some where(a wide open space)a field, or ask Alissa where that skatepark is that she has pics posted of. Dress them in casual clothes, something you would mind them getting dirty in. Don't tell them you're going to be taking pictures when you leave, put the camera in the car before the kids. Tell them your going to go play and have them bring along a ball that they can kick around too. Then just let them be kids, run around, chase each other, whatever comes natural. Don't give them any direction, just take your shots. Then when they're tired pack it up and go home. You're bound to walk away with some good shots! Just a suggestion, but if I know your kids this just might work! Okay that was a long comment I'm out of breath now!!!

Karen said...

Do you have a tripod? Let Amanda take her own photo using a tripod and the self-timer button.

(I'm also a photo tyrant who is not nearly as good at photography as you. I've told my children very hateful things when they didn't cooperate with taking pictures. But I make great rice krispy treats, so it balances out...I hope.)

Ty and Trista Swartzlander said...

Wow girl. Photos at V day. That is dedication to the holiday. I would forget the photos and cheapo cards and buy a bag of conversation hearts. Yummm. Maybe that is because I love to eat.

Deon said...

I am reading this way past the issue....what matters is your relationship with your daughter. I've learned that the hard way.....


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...